Monday, November 10, 2008

Just Be Yourself!!! Stop Comparing!!

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings, 1955


He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away. ~Raymond Hull


God has given you one face, and you make yourself another. ~William Shakespeare


All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naïve. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: that I am nobody but myself. ~Ralph Ellison, "Battle Royal"


The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another. ~James Matthew Barrie


Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland


We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves. ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld


If you cannot be a poet, be the poem. ~David Carradine


A man who is "of sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key. ~Paul Valéry, Mauvaises pensées et autres, 1942


It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings


Almost every man wastes part of his life in attempts to display qualities which he does not possess, and to gain applause which he cannot keep. ~Samuel Johnson, The Rambler, 1750


Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another. ~Homer


Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein


Learn to... be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not. ~Henri Frederic Amiel


I am much better employed from every point of view, when I live solely for my own satisfaction, than when I begin to worry about the world. The world frightens me, and a frightened man is no good for anything. ~George Gissing


No man can climb out beyond the limitations of his own character. ~John Morley


There is just one life for each of us: our own. ~Euripides


Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth. ~Benjamin Disraeli

No comments: